Overview of Requirements
Experience - 6,000 hours earned through full or part-time work
- DEGREE CREDIT: 1,000 hours credit for an Associates degree; 2,000 hours credit for a Bachelors degree; 4,000 hours credit for a Masters degree.
The maximum degree credit allowed is 4,000 hours toward the experience requirement. *Degree must be in a Behavioral Health, Human Services, or Related field with a clinical application, from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning. Experiential degrees are not accepted.
Experience is defined as full or part-time experience using clinical skills for treatment of alcohol/drug use disorder clients at a program licensed to provide substance abuse services by the state of Michigan, or equivalent. The experience may be as a paid or volunteer employee and must be in the IC&RC/ADC Performance Domains and the Twelve Core Counseling Functions.
Education - 270 Contact Hours
- At least two-thirds (180) of the contact hours must be specific to substance abuse and the remaining one-third (90) of the contact hours may be related to substance abuse; at least six (6) contact hours must be face-to-face, MCBAP approved professional or treatment ethics.
- Education is defined as formal classroom education (workshops, seminars, institutes, in-services, and college/university work) or home study courses (internet, correspondence, teleconference). Courses for which credit is awarded based only on other experience are not accepted.
Supervised Practical Training - 300 hours of direct supervision specific to the counseling of alcohol/drug use disorder clients (with a minimum of 10 hours in each Core Function)
- Supervised Practical Training (Supervised Experience) is defined as a formal, systematic process that focuses on skill development and integration of knowledge. This training must take place in a setting where alcohol/drug use disorder treatment is being provided. Training must be specifically related to the IC&RC/ADC Performance Domains including the Twelve Core Counseling Functions. This training must occur as part of eligible work experience and may be completed under more than one supervisor.
Testing - IC&RC/ADC Written Exam
- Applicants are required to pass the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium/Alcohol and Drug Counselor (IC&RC/ADC) written examination as part of their CADC requirement. There are no prerequisites to take the exam. A passing score is based upon the total score. If you fail the exam, you must register again and retake the entire exam.
Fee - Submit $150.00 non-refundable two-year certification fee.
Code of Ethics - Sign and adhere to the current MCBAP Counselor Code of Ethical Standards.
Residency - Must live or work within the State of Michigan fifty-one (51%) percent of the time.
- Forty (40) hours of approved continuing education training is required for a two (2) year certification period or twenty (20) hours of approved continuing education training is required for a one (1) year certification period. Time period is since the beginning of your previous certification period with a minimum of 50% specific to substance abuse.
Renewal fee (subject to change)
- $85 one (1) year renewal fee
- $145 two (2) year renewal fee
- $200.00 three (3) year renewal fee