Overview of Requirements
Experience - 6,000 hours full or part-time work
- DEGREE CREDIT: 1,000 hours credit for an Associates degree 2,000 hours credit for a Bachelors degree
4,000 hours credit for a Masters degree
The maximum degree credit allowed is 4,000 hours toward the experience requirement. *Degree must be in a Behavioral Health or Related field with a clinical application from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning. Experiential degrees are not accepted.
Experience is defined as full or part-time experience counseling AODA clients at a program licensed by the state of Michigan. The experience may be as a paid or volunteer employee and must be in the IC&RC/AODA Performance Domains and the Twelve Core Counseling Functions.
Education - 270 Contact Hours
- At least two-thirds (180) of the contact hours must be specific to substance abuse and the remaining one-third (90) of the contact hours may be related to substance abuse; at least six (6) contact hours must be face-to-face, MCBAP approved professional or treatment ethics. Of the 270 contact hours, the following are recommended but not required.
- 24 hours — Co-Occurring disorders
- 6 hours — Communicable Diseases including HIV
- 6 hours — Cultural Awareness
- 12 hours — Assessment and Treatment Planning
- 6 hours — Criminal Justice clients
- 6 hours — Client, Family & Community Education
- 12 hours — Counseling
- 12 hours — Professional, Legal, and Ethical Responsibility
- 6 hours — Case Management
- 12 hours — Pharmacology
- Education is defined as formal classroom education (workshops, seminars, institutes, in-services, and college/university work) or home study courses (internet, correspondence, teleconference). Courses for which credit is awarded based only on other experience are not accepted.
Supervised Practical Training - 300 hours of direct supervision specific to the counseling of AODA clients (with a minimum of 10 hours in each Core Function)
- Supervised Practical Training is defined as a formal, systematic process that focuses on skill development and integration of knowledge. This training must take place in a setting where AODA counseling is being provided. Training must be specifically related to the IC&RC/AODA Performance Domains including the Twelve Core Counseling Functions. This training must occur as part of an eligible work experience and may be completed under more than one supervisor.
Testing - IC&RC/ADC Written Exam
- Applicants are required to pass the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium/Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse (IC&RC/AODA) Counselor written examination as part of their CADC requirement. There are no prerequisites to take the exam. A passing score is based upon the total score. If you fail the exam, you must retake the entire exam.
Fee - Submit $150.00 non-refundable two-year certification fee (online application manual included.)
Code of Ethics - Sign and adhere to the current Counselor Code of Ethical Standards.
Residency - Must live or work within the State of Michigan fifty-one (51%) percent of the time.
- Forty (40) hours of approved continuing education training is required for a two (2) year certification period or twenty (20) hours of approved continuing education training is required for a one (1) year certification period, since the beginning of your previous certification period with a minimum of 50% specific to substance abuse.
Renewal fee- $135.00 two (2) year renewal fee $85.00 one (1) year renewal fee
NOTE: there will be a $25 renewal fee for each additional credential for those individuals who hold more than one MCBAP certification.