Overview of Requirements
Experience - 2,000 hours earned through full- or part-time work. (No degree credits offset.)
- Experience is defined as full- or part-time work providing Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug (ATOD) prevention services at a substance abuse prevention program licensed by the State of Michigan, or equivalent.
Education - 120 hours of education in ATOD prevention. At least (24) of the contact hours must be specific to ATOD Prevention and the remaining (96) of the contact hours may be related to ATOD Prevention but within the IC&RC Prevention Domains; at least six (6) contact hours of a face-to-face, MCBAP-approved Prevention Ethics training must be included. Of the 120 contact hours, the following areas are recommended but not required: 45 hours specific to multicultural and/or specific populations awareness.
- Education is defined as formal classroom instruction (workshops, seminars, institutes, in-services and college/university coursework) or home study courses (internet, correspondence, teleconference). All education must be documented and from a MCBAP approved source. Course credits awarded based on experience alone are not accepted.
- Education must be specific to the knowledge and skills necessary to perform the tasks within each IC&RC/PS Performance Domain.
Supervised Practical Training - 120 hours of direct supervision performing ATOD prevention functions within the current IC&RC Prevention Performance Domains (with a minimum of 10 hours in supervised activities in each Performance Domain).
- Supervised Practical Training (Supervised Experience) is defined as a formal, systematic process that focuses on skill development and integration of knowledge. This training must take place in a setting where ATOD prevention service is being provided. This training must occur as part of eligible work experience and may be completed under more than one supervisor. Supervision, or co-supervision must be provided by a person holding an active MCBAP Prevention credential: CPS, CPC, CPC-R, CPS-M, CPC-M. Co-supervision may come from outside the applicant's place of employment.
Testing - IC&RC-Prevention Specialist written examination
- Applicants are required to pass the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC) Prevention Specialist (PS) written examination as part of their CPS requirement. There are no prerequisites to take the exam. A passing score is based upon the total score. If you fail the exam, you must register again and retake the entire exam.
Code of Ethics - Sign and adhere to the current MCBAP Prevention Code of Ethical Standards.
Residency - Must live or work within the State of Michigan fifty-one percent (51%) of the time.
Fee - Submit completed application with a $150.00 two-year initial certification fee
- Forty- (40) hours of approved continuing education training is required for a two- (2) year certification or twenty (20) hours of approved continuing education training is required for a one- (1) year certification. Time period is since the beginning of your previous certification period with a minimum of 50% continuing education specific to ATOD prevention.
Renewal fee (subject to change)
- $85 one (1) year renewal fee
- $145 two (2) year renewal fee
- $200.00 three (3) year renewal fee